2011 THE YEAR OF MOVING FORWARD

One of the things I did as a pastor for a number of years was to declare a theme for the year. That tradition had its roots in a class I took in 1995, with Dr. Mark Rutland, currently the President of Oral Roberts University. Dr. Rutland was teaching a class on Preaching for the Assembly of God Theological Seminary in a short term 1 week format in Lakeland, Florida, and it was my privilege to attend. During the week of classes Dr. Rutland told the class that he settled on a theme for every year when he was pastoring and encouraged us to do the same. When I returned home, I decided to do just that and for 1996 announced a theme, which we called the Year of Faith. Although not set in stone, it seemed that as I would think and pray about this each year, the Lord would give me a theme to declare each year. I have not done that since I left pastoring, of course, but as last year drew to a close, some words and phrases seemed to come to my attention again and again, and so, for what it's worth I am sharing a theme for WME's mission work for 2011: The Year of Moving Forward.

THE ORIGINS OF THE THEME

It started a few months back when I was talking with some leaders from Oasis Christian Center in Paducah, KY. Pastor Larry Starnes had asked if we could have a WME Missions Conference there in 2011 and when I met with the leaders I suggested that they select a theme for the conference that is scheduled for April 8-10 at their church. A little while later they shared that they liked a theme from a song that they had heard called "Moving Forward" (I have embedded the song at the bottom of the blog for those who would like to hear it). I heard the song and loved it instantly and told them that this would be a great theme song and theme for the conference.

As time has gone by, this theme and other phrases like it have come to my attention again and again in the last months, weeks and days.

Another phrase that is likened to it is "No Retreat". This concept is kind of the flip side of the "Moving Forward" idea. Moving Forward is what we must do, and No Retreat is the reminder of what we must not do.

I am a student of history of all kinds (World History, U. S. History, History of Wars, Church History, Revival History, Missions History....you name it). One of my interests is the U. S. Civil War (1861-1865). The key General for the North was Ulysses S. Grant. As I have made a special study of his decision making and strategies I have come to see that Grant made many mistakes and very costly ones at that (once he made an error in judgement that cost his army 7000 casualties in 30 minutes!). Yet his leadership was probably the critical factor in the North winning the war. And one of the key factors in his personality and decision making was the fact that he seemed to be constitutionally unable to retreat! Whether he was winning or losing, he kept moving foward. If he suffered a terrible surprise attack that was costly (like at Fort Donelson or especially the Battle of Shiloh) he refused to give up and always ordered a counter attack! Or if he was beaten by the opposing army temporarily (as happened more than once when he faced Robert E. Lee directly in the Overland Campaign in 1864) he kept moving forward toward his ultimate goal (Richmond, VA). If he could not go "through" Lee, he would go around him and keep moving forward, thus controlling the context of the war even when he could not win every battle. As far as I can tell, although he made many mistakes and won some and lost some, the one thing Grant never did....never ever...was to retreat! And it paid off at Appomattox.

A few years ago, I feel that the Lord gave me an insight into 5 key decisions that we must make if we will see victory in Spiritual Warfare. Here they are with a bit of explanation of one:

1. I Will Not Quit.
2. I Will Not Fail.
3. I Will Not Die. (Prematurely, before God is done with me)
4. I Will Not Fail Morally.
5. I Will Not Slacken the Pace.

Of course, these decisions can only be carried out by the grace of God, in Obedience to His Word and His Holy Spirit. But the spirit behind these decisions is the spirit of "Moving Forward" and "No Retreat" as we obey Christ's Great Commission.

So there it is. WME has a theme, not only for its April Conference, but for its work for 2011: The Year Of Moving Forward

Lord, with your grace and help, we will move forward in obedience to your Word this year. Open New Doors by your power. Multiply the work in Honduras. To You Lord goes all Glory and Praise.
AMEN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Stages of a Disciple Making Movement

The Holy Spirit and Disciple Making Movements

Non-Cessationist Sola Scriptura: The Theology of CPM