How to Pray for Missions: The Jesus Model

So as we look at How to Pray for Missions,  let's start by looking at the model prayer that Jesus gave to us.  Otherwise known as the Lord's prayer, we find it in 2 places in the New Testament:  Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:2-4.  This is not just a prayer to be repeated, it is a model, an outline for prayer given to us by Jesus Himself.  He gave it on 2 occasions, once in a sermon (the one on the Mount), and once in answer to the request from his disciples who asked Him to teach them to pray.  So clearly, Jesus is telling us that this is key in the issue of How to pray.

I see 5 Requests or Petitions in this prayer, and in my own prayer life, I use these as 5 headings in prayer.

1.  Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be Your name.
     This is a place to start.  It is both a praise and a petition.  In it we are giving God glory for He is God and He alone is worthy.  But it is also a request.  We are praying that the Name of the True God be Hallowed or Sanctified or Set Apart....in short we are asking that Yahweh God, the Only God, the Triune God who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, be recognized as the true God by everyone on the earth!!!
    At this place in my prayer, I repeat the words of the angels in Heaven:  Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Hosts, Lord God Almighty, the whole earth is full of Your Glory!  (Isaiah 6: 3)
   Then I proclaim the words of the prophet:  Let the earth be filled with the Knowledge of the Glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea! (Habakkuk 2:14)
    I pray that all on the earth will know who the True God is and Hallow His Holy Name!
    I pray that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Yahweh to the Glory of God the Father!

2.  Your Kingdom come, Your will be done, on the earth as it is in Heaven!
     This is the primary topic for Missions Praying....it is in this category that I do most of my Missions praying.
      I pray, Even So Come Lord Jesus!  (Revelation 22:20)
      I pray, Let this Gospel of the Kingdom be preached in the all the world as a witness to all peoples! (Matthew 24:14).
      I pray, Deploy us to Go and make disciples of all peoples, baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey all that you have commanded us! (Matthew 28:18-20)

Then under this category, I pray for my missions prayer assignments.  I will be talking about Missions prayer assignments in later blogs.

3.  Give us our Daily Bread
   Here is prayer for our personal and family needs.  It can also be a time for prayer for the Resources needed for the Mission.

4.  Forgive us as we Forgive others.
    Here is a time for repentance and confession.  Also for prayer for the spiritual relationships of the missions force.

5.  Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
    Here is the spiritual warfare time in prayer.   Under this category I pray the topics I learned from Ying Kai.  a. I put on the Armor of God (Ephesians 6), b. I ask God to give me the spiritual gifts that I need for my life and work, c.  I give God thanks for all things, d. I Plead the Blood of Jesus in my life.  In a later blog, I will deal with what pleading the blood is, and how to do it.

But for now, this is my master outline for prayer.  It is not a legalistic regimen, that is to say, it is not a ritual that binds me.....I can change the order, add things etc. But the point is that this is a Jesus prayer outline....we know these things are God's will because they are God's word.

So let me encourage you to start now....use these 5 prayer topics to guide your prayer time in general. Find out where in these areas, the things you are led to pray for would naturally fit.  In our next look at How to Pray for Missions, we will look at 7 specific things that Intercessors need to be praying for in these last days, 7 areas that need breakthrough in order to see the finishing of the Great Commission in our lifetime!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Stages of a Disciple Making Movement

The Holy Spirit and Disciple Making Movements

Non-Cessationist Sola Scriptura: The Theology of CPM