Some Lessons Learned

The Honduras project has just entered its 4th year. The team entered the first villages to begin looking for persons of peace on July 23, 2008. Today, through both the direct and catalyzed wings of the project, there are over 60 churches and another approximately 160 locations where discovery Bible studies are happening. Somewhere around 4000 people are being impacted we think. The warfare has been intense, souls have come to Christ, leaders are being mentored, at least 5 persons connected to the overall work have been killed violently (3 murdered, 2 in a crossfire with police and drug dealers), there was an earthquake that did much damage, flooding that devastated the country, a government overthrow and 5 months on the brink of civil war, and the Kingdom of God is advancing.

In the process I have learned some things....or learned some things I already knew much better.

1. God answers prayer. I recently found a copy of the original strategic plan that Randy Travis, our strategy coordinator wrote and presented to me in January 2007. I presented this document to the WME board that January and they approved the project. On my copy of this strategic document I had written on April 6, 2007 "Lord, I have a CPM plan, a willing missionary and 2,000 dollars in the bank. " I then asked for additional funds to get launched and closed with these words..."Prayed Prayer of Faith".

I can say that the project has cost more than I asked for, and that the supply was not always when I have wanted it, but I am amazed now, over 4 years later at how God has answered that prayer. He has done things that I could not have even imagined when I wrote those words in 2007....His supply has always been right on time.

2. None of the plans have worked out just the way we foresaw them....but if we had not planned and taken action, nothing would have happened. That is the way it is in warfare. A well known quote from an American General goes something like this: "No strategic plan survives contact with the enemy." That means that we can't be rigid in our planing and our forethought. We plan the work and work the plan, but realize that God is the one who actually does the work, and He does it His way.

Proverbs 16:9-"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

3. Some of the breakthroughs have come unexpectedly and in areas where we were not expecting the results to be the greatest. But everything has been in response to continually sowing the seed of the word.
In other words, Consistency in doing the work, and following the principles and refusing to quit when the going is tough or it seems like there are setbacks is key to success.

I have learned more things, but these 3 are impressing themselves on me right now. So here are the principles, restated.

Pray always and expectantly. God Answers Prayer.
Make Plans according to the Word of God and correct CPM Principles. Then see How God works it together. Hold your plans loosely.
Be consistent in Obeying the Word and Sowing the Word. Never give up and Never quit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Stages of a Disciple Making Movement

The Holy Spirit and Disciple Making Movements

Non-Cessationist Sola Scriptura: The Theology of CPM