3 Column Study on Joshua 1:8

In the November 5 blog article, I talked about the 1:8 principle. It is a comparison of Joshua 1:8 and Acts 1:8. As I first began to go deeper into the church planting movement principles, I was struck by the critical element that "all you need to begin is the Word of God and the Holy Spirit".
It interested me that the two "1:8" scriptures (the first to Israel as they launched out on their "great commission" and the second to the church as it launched out on its mission) highlighted these two elements respectively: the Word of God and the Holy Spirit.

That is why I chose Joshua 1:1-8 to recommend as a 3 column study for those who would like to learn this process. In this installment I will report from my 3 column sheet on this passage, focusing just on verse 8. I do this both to illustrate the process and to share the fruit of the study. The previous 7 verses set the stage and the context. Moses has died and God now tells Joshua to enter the land. God gives him promises and commands on how to accomplish the assignment. Here then, as an example, are my 3 columns on Joshua 1:8. I will give them just as they are on my 3 column sheet, only edited slightly, without additional explanation.

COLUMN 1(Scripture): This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. (English Standard Version)

COLUMN 2(My Words): In fact, do not let the Book of the Law (Word of God, the Bible) depart from your mouth. Think and meditate on it, speaking it in your own hearing, day and night. Do this so that you will give special attention to obey everything in it. If you do that, you will prosper and succeed in what you do, having the wisdom to accomplish everything.

COLUMN 3(I Will): 1. I will read the Bible daily and think about what I read.
2. I will meditate on God's word by doing 3 column Bible studies.
3. I will repeat passages aloud, in my own hearing, to enforce them in my
mind.
4. I will list steps of obedience and will implement them in my daily life.

How did you do with the process?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Stages of a Disciple Making Movement

The Holy Spirit and Disciple Making Movements

Non-Cessationist Sola Scriptura: The Theology of CPM